10 Children Served Windshield Cleaner At Arkansas Day Care

Ten children in Little Rock, Arkansas are recovering after drinking windshield wiper fluid. The children were served the liquid at their daycare by a staffer.
Doctors estimate that the children, aged 2 to 7, consumed an ounce of the fluid late Thursday afternoon before discovering that it tasted funny. One child remains in hospital with ‘measurable levels’ of methanol. The highly toxic alcohol can result in comas and cause blindness.

The Chicago Tribune reports:

“All we know was that the individual at the day care had recently shopped and had come back to the day care with a lot of different products,” Laura James, a pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock told The Associated Press. “This product was mistakenly grabbed and thought to be Kool-Aid and put in the refrigerator.”

The name of the center is not being named by either Laura James or the state Department of Human Service. DHS investigators will be visiting the day care center on Friday.

AP reports:

“It has not been reported to us yet,” DHS spokeswoman Julie Munsell said Friday morning. “Either it happened and they didn’t report as they should have … or it happened after business hours.”

Antifreeze and windshield wiper fluid are easily mistaken for fruit drinks by children. That mistake can be deadly. Always make sure to store these and other poisonous products where children can not get into them.

Advertisements

You must be logged in to post a comment.

%d bloggers like this: