The boys mother told The Sun newspapers that ‘It’s got nowt to do with me – they weren’t even in my care.’
The boys have been charged with attempted murder and robbery. They have been described as ‘chaotic and dangerous’.
Relatives of the injured boys are outraged that the brothers were allowed to be roaming the area when it was known that they were dangerous.
The Daily Mail reports:
The aunt of the 11-year-old thrown in the ravine said: ‘They knew what the two attackers were capable of, but they did nothing.
‘Social services should have taken them into more secure care, not just let them roam the streets. If he had been found just half an hour later my poor nephew would have died.
‘Now the worry is that the people responsible won’t be put away. They will go to a detention centre with a nice X-Box. That’s not punishment if you ask me.’
The boys aren’t the brothers first victims. The Daily Mail reports that just a week earlier Callam Flett, an 11-year-old choirboy at St John’s Church in Edlington was beaten by the boys at the same spot. Callam’s parents reported the attack immediately. The police according to Mrs. Flett wasn’t that interested, in fact the parents were warned that they could get in trouble if the bandied around the brothers names.
I am appalled and shocked,’ said Mrs Flett. ‘The attack on my son was horrific and he could quite easily have been very seriously injured.’
Just hours before the brothers attacked the children that are still in hospital they were questioned by the police concerning Callam’s attack.
The oldest boy was the most seriously injured Saturday. He had to be airlifted to Sheffield Children’s Hospital. Yesterday he improved from critical to stable and the ventilator keeping him alive was finally able to be removed.
His 16-year-old brother said: ‘He could hardly open his eyes in hospital. They were swollen shut with a slice cut running along the bottom of one eye. His face is covered in bruises and cuts. He looks like he has been battered in a boxing match. None of us can believe what’s happened. Kids get into little fights but this is something different. It’s horrible.’
The boy’s parents released a press statement thanking those who have prayed for their son reports The Telegraph.
His parents said: “We would like to thank all the community for their help in finding our son and for all their continued support through what is a very traumatic time. We are hoping that our son will continue to recover from his ordeal and ask that the media would please respect our privacy and not approach our family or friends.”
Because of their ages the brothers can not be named. The Daily Mail though has discovered that they spent time in the care of Doncaster council. Detectives have been granted an additional 36 hours to question them.
Since the incident the brothers have been in custody. The Telegraph reports:
Chris Hartley, Head of the CPS’s Crown Court unit, said: “South Yorkshire Police have been investigating an incident in Edlington during which two young boys aged nine and eleven received significant injuries. They arrested two boys aged ten and eleven in connection with this incident.
“South Yorkshire CPS has been advising the Police during the last few days as their investigations continued. We have now authorised the police to charge a boy aged ten and a boy aged eleven.
“Each boy will be charged with an offence of attempted murder of each victim and each boy will also be charged with an offence of robbery against each victim. This gives a total for four charges for each boy.”
Neighbours of the foster family that was trying to care for them say that the boys claimed ownership of the street.
The Daily Mail reports:
Charles Dunn, 52, said: ‘They were tearaways who were completely out of control.
‘They were strutting around like cocks of the walk and seen wandering barefoot and dirty, trespassing, lighting fires and being rowdy.
‘I saw them smoking and wouldn’t have been surprised if they weren’t drunk.’
Philip Metcalf, 45, an odd-job man, said: ‘Their behaviour was shocking. They were running riot and it didn’t look like the foster parents could exert any control.’
The event has been deemed shocking by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith and Downing Street.
Paul Hart, managing director of Doncaster Council, said: “This is a truly shocking and upsetting incident and we are working closely with our partners to assist the investigation. We can confirm that the two boys in custody have recently been placed into foster care. As this is an ongoing criminal investigation we cannot add anything further at this time.”
The Doncaster Council department is already being looked at as investigations are underway about the deaths of seven children in the borough since 2004. This year Children’s Secretary Ed Balls replaced the management team of the children’s service at the authority.