North Korea has ordered International Atomic Energy inspectors out of the nation Tuesday. Thus ends the monitoring of a research reactor at Yongbyon. In theory the reactor is capable of reprocessing fuel rods to make plutonium.
It’s been an ongoing battle between the world and North Korea since October over the use of the Experimental Nuclear Reactor Plant and the Nuclear Fuel Fabrication Plant at Yongbyon.
IAEA received a statement from North Korea on Tuesday that the nation was ceasing cooperation with the IAEA and that the agency was to remove its containment and surveillance equipment. This follows an announcement that North Korea plans to reactivate all of its nuclear facilities and resume production of nuclear fuel.
International Business Times published the statement sent out from the DPRK Foreigh Ministry on Tuesday.
“First, the DPRK resolutely rejects the unjust action taken by the UNSC wantonly infringing upon the sovereignty of the DPRK and seriously hurting the dignity of the Korean people.
“Second, there would be no need to hold six-party talks which the DPRK has attended.
“Now that the six-party talks have turned into a platform for infringing upon the sovereignty of the DPRK and seeking to force the DPRK to disarm itself and bring down the system in it the DPRK will never participate in the talks any longer nor it will be bound to any agreement of the six-party talks.
“Third, the DPRK will bolster its nuclear deterrent for self-defense in every way.
“It will take the measure for restoring to their original state the nuclear facilities which had been disabled under the agreement of the six-party talks and putting their operation on a normal track and fully reprocess the spent fuel rods churned out from the pilot atomic power plant as part of it.”
It is expected that U.S. experts and monitors for IAEA will leave North Korea before the end of the week.
On Monday the United Nations Security Council adopted a nonbinding presidential statement condemning Pyongyang’s April 5 rocket launch as a violation of a resolution banning the country from all missile activity and demanding no further launches.
North Korea maintains that the rocket was to send a satellite into space. Japan, the United States and other countries believe that the launch was a cover for a long-range ballistic missile test.
Kyodo News reports:
”North Korea’s announced threat to withdraw from the six-party talks and restart its nuclear program is a serious step in the wrong direction,” White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said at a news briefing.
”North Korea will not find acceptance by the international community unless it verifiably abandons its pursuit of nuclear weapons,” he said.
North Korea is carrying though earlier threats that it would withdraw from international disarmament talks if the UN criticized the launch.
The Toronto Star reports:
“The six-party talks have lost the meaning of their existence, never to recover,” the North’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement, declaring it would never participate in the talks again and is no longer bound to previous agreements.