The National Post reports:
“Our initial response was an evacuation, believing there may be a potentially deadly gas in the air,” said Capt. Adrian Ratushniak, of Toronto Fire Services, adding that chemicals were, indeed, later found in the home. “We were aware that there could be a danger to other people in the area.”
Moderate exposure to the chemical can cause eye irritation, sore throat or headaches. If one inhales a high concentration death is the outcome from suffocation.
The woman on Empress Avenue was already dead when the authorities entered her home in HazMat uniforms.
By 10:30 a.m. police were knocking on doors to evacuate residents. L.C. Lee was one that was told to leave immediately.
“He didn’t tell me why, just that I should take what I need and leave as soon as possible,” said Mr. Lee, after returning to his home around 2 p.m. “I just took my keys, my wallet, some money, and my phone. I had to leave my dog,” he said, adding that he and his wife spent the nearly four hours wandering the neighborhood and watching as the scene unfolded.
This type of suicide is a rare event in Toronto. In Japan it has become a more common way of killing one’s self.